Hello everyone, Swaggs wanted to start our first blog on a common issue that most of our customers don’t know about and is seen in most homes. There are a lot of toxic plants that exist in our homes that can cause Vomiting, diarrhea, sneezing, coughing, loss of appetite, paralysis, coma and even death. 15% of pets that are treated for poison is found from plants placed in homes. These symptoms happen to cats and dogs once ingested but that doesn’t mean you have to throw your plants away.

The list below is the top 10 most common and their Symptoms:

Asparagus Fern
Vomiting, Diarrhea, Abdominal Pain, Skin Irritation
Dracaena
Vomiting, Depression, Appetite Loss, Dilated pupils in cats
Dieffenbachia
Lack of appetite, Death, Kidney Failure, Lethargy
Easter Lily
Oral irritation, increased salivation, Difficulty swallowing, Death, Vomiting
Jade Plant
Vomiting, Depression, Slow heart rate
Aloe Vera
Vomiting, Reddish Urine
Philodendron
Swelling Spasm, Seizure, Burning of the mouth
Sago Palm
Vomiting, Diarrhea, Liver Failure, Death
ZZ Plant
Vomiting, Diarrhea
Common Ivy
Breathing Difficulty, Rash, Paralysis, Coma

This list can be frightening but don’t be alarmed, there are ways to avoid having your pets ingest them such as moving your plants to a higher area that are not reachable to your loved ones. Another solution is putting them where pets are not allowed or displayed on a shelf your cat can’t venture. Also remember that most pets don’t ingest plants around the house and if your pet is known for that bad habit, you can plant an indoor grass area for your pet to chew on. I hope this was very informational and if you have any questions in regards to this post or other toxic plants, send us an email and Swaggs will be happy to explain!